Tuesday, July 28, 2009

BROWN BAG BURRITOS - FREEZER FOOD

Brown Bag Burritos

The first time I made these I followed the recipe exactly and my family, (picky husband included) loved them. The next time I made them I put a can of Mexican style chili beans with them and made about half a dozen small bean only burritos. Then I added two large cans of chicken to the remainder. Again, my family loved them. Right now I am making a third batch and added not only the Chili beans but a can of green chilies as well to give them a little more BAM.

One other thing, I use the package Taco seasoning in place of the chili powder and garlic powder and salt.

· 2 lb. ground beef
· 2 cans refried beans
· 1 1/3 c. enchilada sauce
· 1/2 c. water
· 1/3 c. minced onion (I use dried)
· 1 Tbsp. chili powder
· 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
· 1 tsp. salt
· 1 tsp. dried oregano
· 3 c. shredded cheese (cheddar, Mexican blend, whatever)
· 20 flour tortillas (burrito-size) (I also use the medium size tortillas as well)

Brown ground beef; drain. Add remaining ingredients (except tortillas). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.Heat 3-4 tortillas at a time. Spoon 1/4 c. beef mixture down the side of each tortilla.

Roll up. Wrap each burrito in a paper towel, then wrap in foil. (Because the foil doesn’t really touch the food, it is super easy to save and reuse!)Refrigerate or freeze.

I like to pack them in the tortilla ziplock bag. I can usually fit 10 per bag.

When ready to eat, remove foil and microwave for about a minute. The larger the burrito the longer it will have to be nuked. Test your microwave to see what the best time is for you. The paper towel keeps the burritos moist. If you don’t use a microwave, skip the paper towel and just wrap in foil. Then heat burritos in the oven with foil. For a sit down meal they are nice topped with lettuce, cheese, salsa, and sour cream. If you’re eating on the run, though, just grab and go!

Like I said - my picky husband likes these -

No comments:

Post a Comment